Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Long-Form Journalism

I have to agree with Alyssa that I don't think long-form journalism is going to die out altogether, but it is becoming less popular. Now-a-day, people want the most amount of information in the least time-consuming way possible. This is why facebook statuses and twitter updates are so short. It seems that people really don't like to take the time to read long winded articles.

That being said, sometimes I do enjoy reading long articles, if it is about a topic I enjoy learning about. If a story if truly compelling, I find myself wishing it were longer and longer and I am always wanting to know more. Unfortunately, the stories that are usually most compelling are ones that stem from some sort of tragedy. Long-form journalism is best suited for stories with a climax and many interesting stories, in my opinion.

I think that long-form journalism will stay around, because there are always people who want to read it. However, the present generations are becoming more and more interested in getting their information in as few words as possible. In my opinion, both long-form journalism and short-form can coexist! There can be articles that sum up what happened in a few lines, and others that provide great detail where needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment