Friday, April 1, 2011

Interview Framing

If I could redo one of my interviews for my final piece, I would go back to my interview with Dr. MJ Bishop, an expert in instructional media with an Ed.D. in educational technology. We had to reschedule our first interview because I was sick, and when we finally did meet in her office at Iacocca Hall, I was still getting over laryngitis and could barely talk. 


My horse voice, however, wasn't the main impediment in the interview. I am researching the detrimental affects of technology and social media on teens and was hoping that Dr. Bishop could shed some light on this subject. But, Dr. Bishop has devoted her life to developing technologies for learning in and out of the classroom, she believes technology can serve as a benefit to our kids, and thus was very hesitant to discuss technology or social media in any negative contexts. During the interview Dr. Bishop acknowledged that yes technology can have pitfalls, but despite my pointed questions, would not discuss or elaborate on these issues. I can use her interview to add a new angle to my piece about the positive affects of technology, but was disappointed I couldn't get any juicy tidbits about technology and media's unfavorable side in the interview.


Instead of going back to interview Dr. Bishop, I will interview one of her colleagues that she referred me to. I can work with my questions so that they can better extract information about the negative side of technology and media without the interviewee feeling as though they are betraying their work. This may be a sizable challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment