Friday, January 28, 2011

A Classic Writer

If you search for a writer today that can encompass political critiques of society, feminism, and romance, you might be torn in every direction when you step into the bookstore. You may know of an eminent political theory writer, a great romance novelist, or the perfect section to go to if you need a quasi-vacation, but finding all of this within one writer or novel is a rarity. In high school, I was astonished by an author who wrote about all of these things and more within one single novel.
Kate Chopin writes about women’s societal struggles, inequality, romance, and presents beautiful visions of the sea, combining so many aspects of writing into wonderful novels and short stories – and did I mention she was wrote more than a hundred years ago? She is a writer who can not only write in numerous forms all at once, but also stands the test of time. The issues she writes about and stories she tells remain relevant in society today. Can you tell she happens to be one of my favorite authors?
Of the books and novels I read throughout high school and college, her novel The Awakening sticks out to me. Though she wrote in the late 1800s, the issues and themes of her writing were significant to me. The prose of her realistic fiction truly brought characters and situations to life. It is a profound talent when a writer can still be relevant and engaging after a century has passed since they put pen to paper. Though I have read The Awakening in classes, I want to buy it for myself, and when I travel to the bookstore, I won’t be torn in every which direction – I’ll just go straight to the classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment