Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Night in a night

Growing up I was never a fan of the books that I was required to read in my English classes. Although they may have been considered classics, most did not spark my interest. That all changed after my seventh grade teacher assigned us to read Elie Wiesel’s, Night. I was hooked the minute I read the back cover to learn it was Wiesel’s personal account of the Holocaust. My great-grandmother was a Holocaust survivor, so the topic hit home immediately.

Usually the way we read books in my English classes was by covering a few chapters every night, taking notes, and then reflecting… I finished Night in one night. Wiesel’s use of imagery was so vivid, the words nearly jumped off the page at me. His stories came to life as I became engulfed by his tragic experiences. I appreciated his honest account about the naked truth of the concentration camps.

After finishing Night I had my mom take me to Barnes and Noble to purchase several other books by Wiesel, including Dawn, Day, and Twilight. Wiesel’s writing ignited my interest in the Holocaust, and other non-fiction works about the Holocaust. To this day I credit Wiesel as being the author who made me fall in love with books.

1 comment:

  1. I always think it's interesting that people read Night so young. Granted, it's not hard to get through in terms of reading level, but the topic is certainly a heavy one. I read it for the first time last year, and I'm glad I waited. I think I was able to appreciate it more than I could have in middle school.

    ReplyDelete