Friday, March 18, 2011

Final Paper Progress

My final assignment is a sort of reported trend piece. It's about how student-athletes are traveling overseas during the summer to do community service and teach the sport that they are passionate about. I am also searching to find the deep reason for why students are doing this and what is making them able to do so, financially, time-wise and opportunity-wise.

It seems that when the assignment was first given, I was very steadfast on getting interviews lined up and following through with them immediately. While I have completed three or four interviews already, I am finding it difficult in coordinating time-wise to get other interviews in. I have two people that I am needing to interview, but we can't find a time that works because they are busy with their lives and work and I am busy with my life and work. That would be my main difficulty is scheduling.

Other than that I am making good progress in getting anecdotes and quotes from my sources. I have talked to student-athletes who have gone on these trips and also people who are in charge of running the trips. I guess the only source type that I would be missing is a more professional source that guides student-athletes on what to do over the summer or a more reputable person who could give me statistics and such. That's all for now!

1 comment:

  1. Courtney and several others have noted the challenge of getting sources to commit time for an interview. This is an age-old problem for reporters; sources not getting back to you. The best advice is to be persistent. Most people are busy and they don't mean to ignore your interview request. They just forget or need a reminder. So, my suggestion for Courtney and others is to nudge your sources with a reminder phone call or email, explain to them your deadline, and end with a "I appreciate your help with this story. I know you are busy." But to be on the safe side, also see if you can find some other sources in case the ones you want don't get back to you.--Charlie

    ReplyDelete