Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Interview on a time crunch

The interview I wish I could go back to is one I held with Silagh White, administrative director of ArtsLehigh. She is heavily involved in both the Lehigh and Bethlehem communities and has worked along side Andy Po on many occasions. Because she is invested in reinvigorating South Bethlehem in a way similar to Po, White offers an important insight and opinion. I've spoken with her several times in the past about a few topics, so I knew what a good interview she can be.

Unfortunately, she was unexpectedly busy the day my interview with her rolled around. Instead of going up to her office with her as usual, she sat in the waiting room with me after walking in the building. I could strongly sense her urgency, so I stuck to structured questions I thought were most important and asked relevant follow-ups only a few times. A typical interview with White is very conversational and filled with stories and opinions. This one included the stories and opinions I needed but about a third as much content as she usually offers.

She thanked me for being conscious of her time crunch and was on her way upstairs before I could pick up my bag. I don't know exactly what I should have done differently because I got all the information I needed, but maybe there's be more if she could have talked longer. I'm considering scheduling a second time to talk with her if necessary toward the end of my interview process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment