Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Final Project

After completely abandoning my original idea about investigating how advertisers are now using social networking websites to behaviorally target their audiences, I decided to go down a road I have always enjoyed more: service piece. Two summers ago, I interned for Alloy Media & Marketing as an online marketing intern. Part of my work was blogging for them and the blogs I posted were all, essentially, service pieces. I remembered how much I enjoyed giving advice,  and I am very happy with my change in direction.

In addition to changing the type of piece I'm writing, I also drastically changed my topic. I will now be writing about Bethlehem's Best Eats, and looking into the top ten best restaurants on the north and south sides of Bethlehem. Personally, I love food. I love going out to restaurants and I love fine dining. I'm excited that I'll be writing something I have a passion for.

Now that I have a new and better direction for my piece, I have two main challenges:

  1. How do I make this evergreen piece relevant to March 2011? How do I make it unique and stand out and how can I write a piece on the best restaurants without being repetitive? I'm sure someone's covered this topic before, so I need a new, fresh angle.
  2. How do I find "expert" sources in this matter? This isn't like an "academic" topic, where I can find professors who are experts in the topic. It's more about opinion. I suppose I could ask a "food expert" but because it's so specific to this area, I'm unsure if looking for one on HelpaReporter.com will be helpful.
Overall, I'm pleased with my new direction, but I hope I can get some great advice on the challenges expressed above.

1 comment:

  1. Just something to consider--it doesn't necessarily have to be relevant to March 2011. Consider that we won't be having then published till at least April or May, so maybe consider something that would be relevant to the upcoming summer months. Maybe focus on restaurants that offer outside dining?

    ReplyDelete