Friday, February 25, 2011

Apple Rules the World

As I perused the magazine section at the bookstore, my eye was instantly drawn to the sections that I often look at - the fitness section, the food section and the gossip section. Instead of picking one of those up, I took a step back to be able to absorb the entire picture. While the picture often only includes the three sections that I read, it now included sections from cars to politics to technology.

Since I was venturing into a new territory, I decided to pick up a magazine with lots of simplicity. Mac Life has a white cover with very few words and limited pictures cluttering the cover. Often the covers of magazines have a lot going on, perhaps because the editors of the magazine want to convey to their readers that the magazine has a lot to offer. However, the editors of Mac Life took a drastically different approach.

My first thought of why the magazine is so simple is because they are saying that Macs are simple. By saying Macs are simple and their advice on Macs is simple, they may hope to attract an audience of technology amateurs. As I perused through the magazine, the main content of the magazine was how-tos including 10 for Macs, 5 for iPhones and 5 for iPads. Not only were the how-tos very applicable and general to the common user, some of the questions that were answered were questions that my mom had asked me about the iPhone. These pieces were written in very simplistic manner with step-by-step guides on how to do one thing or another on your Apple device.

I don't own a Mac so why would I pick up a magazine called Mac Life. One reason was to see whether the magazine included information about other Apple devices such as the iPhone, iPod and iPhone (which it did). Another reason was to see whether it would intrigue me at all. Surprisingly it did. One main difference between Mac Life and the other magazines that I read on a regular basis is the mere appearance and set up of the articles. Mac Life is more systematic and doesn't include as much creativity in how the articles are laid out. While it was fun to pick up something new, I'm sorry to say that Mac Life can not expect to earn a dime from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment