Thursday, February 17, 2011

An Eye-Catching Cover

Among the racks of magazines at the Barnes & Noble in Campus Square, Miller-McCune caught my eye. Not a publication I read, or have ever even heard of for that matter, the cover was something I could not overlook. Pictured was a [cartoon] baby seated in a high-chair. In its mouth was a cigarette, with an older male's hand (father figure) reached out lighting the baby's cigarette. On the table was a bottle of prescription drugs and in the baby's hand was a bottle of alcohol. Naturally, this image would stop anyone in their tracks. After I grabbed the magazine I proceeded to read the headline: "The bad daddy factor. The overlooked connection between male behavior and fetal health."

I was so interested in this cover and its subsequent headline that I decided to read the entire article. I ended up learning about how the behavior of males, not just females, can influence a baby's health. Men who work around heavy metals, mercury, and pesticides, for instance, are more likely to produce sperm with the wrong number of chromosomes. Men who smoke, and drink alcohol and caffeine are also more likely to produce sperm with abnormalities.

From browsing through the pages of Miller-McCune I learned that its focus is on health, psychology and the environment. Although I'm not about to subscribe to Miller-McCune, I am much more likely to pick up a copy the next time I'm in a Barnes & Noble. This goes to show that an attention-grabbing cover or headline can attract just about any reader... even those who have never heard of the publication before.

1 comment:

  1. Ally,

    Great pick. Not many magazines do "out-of-the-box" covers that often. Runner's World, for instance, has a very consistent look to it. When you have a chance take a look at some old Esquire covers and what George Lois did with the magazine's covers. Each month was an opportunity to create a cover that would live well beyond its time on the newsstand. Plus, he pulled readers into an interesting story. Here is a link http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/02/esquire_covers.html#photo=1

    ReplyDelete