Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Time Magazine

I don't usually read Time Magazine. It has always seemed kind of boring and serious, so when I see Time Magazine on a table, I usually opt for whatever the other alternative is, unless it is about technology, at which point, I would prefer to sit and read nothing. While I do like to read about current events from around the world, I prefer to get my news from newspapers.

However, after flipping through the December 2010 issue of Time Magazine, I was pleasantly surprised with the layout of the magazine. I especially liked the briefing section of the magazine, because it highlights the biggest stories since the last issue, so it is a good way for me to get more up to date with what is happening in the world outside of the Lehigh bubble. I also enjoyed reading the “verbatim” portion of the briefing section, because it is a whole page of pull-quotes, which I think of as a newspaper feature, but really enjoy reading.

The one thing that I was bored by was how the titles of each article were in the same bold, black font. I think it gives the magazine a business feeling, which is something that I don’t find too appealing. I think if the pictures and text was more exciting, I would be more inclined to read this magazine on a regular basis.

After flipping through the pages of Time magazine, I think I have changed my mind about this magazine. I won’t call in my subscription now, or anytime in the near future, and when I do, I probably won’t read each article word for word, but I think I would enjoy skimming these pieces occasionally. There are so many aspects of this magazine that would appeal to so many people, that I understand why people subscribe to this magazine. It has a good mix of subjects and a lot of the stories are short, so people can skim stories when they have a few minutes free, instead of feeling pressured to read a whole feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment