Saturday, February 19, 2011

Noticing the difference

As I wandered over to the magazine rack at the bookstore, the first magazine to catch my eye was Nylon.

It wasn't because Leighton Meester (who I secretly enjoy watching on Gossip Girl - oops, guess that's out of the bag) was on the cover, but because it was a different spin on the magazines of the same niche that were there.

Nylon takes the typical Cosmo-esque fashion/women's issues magazine and gives it a modern spin. The publication is more artistic than most, as it uses color and font in creative ways, instead of the normal sans serif headlines you would find in Glamour or Marie Claire. The big stories were still high-fashion like the others, but the way their items were placed on the page was so refreshing. It wasn't textbook.

But the only problem was that because it was so different, it was a bit hard to read. After reading all sorts of magazines that followed the same format, it was hard for my eyes to follow (maybe I just need glasses). The font used was a bit different, but so small for what it was in the editorial photo spreads.

So, the difference is there. While the artistic value lies in its pages, I'm not so sure I'd want to substitute that content for the easy to follow, sameness of the other magazines I've read. Perhaps after some time, but change is weird for the eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment