Friday, February 25, 2011

Oh Em Gee - It's the Biebs

Have you been to the Lehigh bookstore recently? It's had a major face lift.  The Market Place, a food and convenience store across Campus Square, has since closed its doors and relocated to the bookstore and taken the place where the magazine racks were.  I had some difficulty finding the new location of the magazine rack (it's now to the left of the stairs near the best sellers).  When I found the magazines, I was pleasantly surprised many covers caught my eye. Perhaps because it's February and SI's swim suit issue is obviously dead center on the rack. The swim suit issue did not however divert my attention away from Vogue, featuring Lady Gaga on the cover, with of course, a new hair style making her barely recognizable. It did not surprise me that several magazines featured at least one Kardashian sister - those girls really know how to market themselves!  

One publication I've always liked, but never had the opportunity to read is Rolling Stone. This month features Justin Bieber with an edgy new hair cut. I'm stunned! In my opinion,  "The Bieber Fever" is based primarily off his tween looks and long, flowy shag hair cut. Naturally, I picked up the magazine to check if the article discussed this pressing "issue".

"The adventures of Super Boy: God, girls and boat loads of swag. How Justin Bieber went from Canadian YouTube oddity to the biggest teen idol in the world". A long deck and headline for the feature article, but appropriate. On page 56, the feature confirms my previous accusation; "The hair of the Biebs is a whole article in itself. It's a pleasant hue, made up of all the colors found in hay, and as luxurious in person as it appears on screen.". Ah, this description is music to my ears (pun intended). The article also discusses The Bieb's rise to fame via YouTube and Usher, his " relations" with Disney star Selena Gomez (jealous) and his brand new Range Rover, which he received for passing his road test ... Last week (just kidding!) 

Aside from the Bieber feature, Rolling Stone covers a variety of topics, from an article on Wall Street to upcoming Indie rock artists. I always struggle to keep up with music trends inside the Lehigh bubble, so I benefit from this magazines' input. I'm definitely going to pay more attention to this publication in the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment