Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Fortune Magazine

I first must say I am not the most business-savvy student here at Lehigh. I spent one semester in the Business School here, but quickly learned it was not for me. However, I do still enjoy flipping through a business magazine, seeing what is good in the world of business. What I find interesting about Fortune Magazine, as opposed to the others I normally read such as ESPN, SI, and Inside Lacrosse, is the choice of fonts and photos. On first thought, I wouldn't expect to be intrigued by the photographs in a money magazine. How interesting can a photo of dollar bills be? How many different angles can be taken of coins or gold? Well it seems Fortune realized this, and went with a different angle. Within this particular issue, there are pictures of buildings and people taken from very strange angles that are very interesting. One of my favorites is a black and white photo of traders on the floor. It is an overhead view, providing a scene not many are used to seeing. Just this photo attracted me to read the article below it. Fortune also employs various fonts and colors well in their headlines, which also provides much attraction. While I may not become a regular reader, if Fortune is sitting on the coffee table or in the dentist's office, I'll definitely be looking at it.

1 comment:

  1. Nick, The art director of Fortune -- a very good friend -- would be glad to hear your comments. You make a lot of strong points.

    ReplyDelete