Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Spine Chilling Cover

While awaiting the arrival of my chai tea latte at the Barnes Noble at the Lehigh Valley Mall, I began to run my eyes across the various covers lying on the racks. The magazine that popped out with an abnormal intensity was the cover of W Magazine. This magazine is often known for its sophisticated take on fashion, style, and the art of living. W is supposed to fee both the eye and the mind, which it certainly did to me as I raced my eyes across the racks.

I have browsed over W Magazine before, however, I have never purchased or truly even read any of the articles in depth. My mom has always subscribed to W and previous covers had never drawn me to the magazine before. This one was different. This cover consisted of the actress Rooney Mara covered in punk apparel with bleeding knuckles. All of the writing across the cover was written in whites and reds, which made them jump out against the mundane grey background.

What really drew me to this magazine was the imagery versus the actual articles that existed within the edition. When usually looking at a fashion magazine cover, one is used to looking at color, high fashion, delicacy, etc. However, for this cover, the theme resonated more with a dark and bone-chilling feeling. It was shocking to see a woman portrayed in this manner on the cover of magazine; luckily after glimpsing through the magazine itself, I later learned that the cover was portraying Rooney Mara’s character Salander. I certainly will not be surprised if this edition sells out pretty quickly!

1 comment:

  1. On a side note, I saw that cover too, and it shocked me for different reasons. I've read "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series, and if that's how Rooney Mara is being portrayed as Salander throughout the movie, then the movie isn't being true to the book at all.

    ReplyDelete