Tuesday, February 22, 2011

BIG Hair for a Big Magazine

While running my fingers over the stale paper magazines, listening to the pages ruffle as I brushed my fingers over them, I was prepared to find a political magazine, or a news magazine, as the assignment was to chose a magazine I didn't typically read. As I wandered down the rows of wooden magazine shelves, tearing my eyes away from the provocative and stimulating covers of Elle, Vogue and Seventeen, I was caught by surprise when I found myself stopping in front of New York Magazine. My parents read New York Magazine, and so, by default, what's left of the rebellious teenager in me refuses to read what my parent's generation values. But, in this instant, I was captivated. Known for covering the style, life, politics and culture of NYC, this magazine was a far stretch from my typical lazy Sunday afternoon reading about Kim Kardashian's new sex tape scandal, or "Beiber Fever." Yet, the cover lured me in.

On the cover, was a seemingly naked woman, except for a small denim fabric which covered her chest, with the biggest hair I had ever seen. This hair could kill. Literally. It was as if an entire flock of birds perched on her head and made a nest. Her hair must have been taller than her torso. At 5'2", Jessica looked 5'9". It was fantastic. It was fashionable. It was outrageous. It was provocative. For those reasons, I stopped at this magazine.

I don't think I even realized that the magazine was the typically mundane and socially forbidden New York Magazine until I got past the woman's outrageous hair. I also didn't realize that for as out-of-character it was for me to be picking up this type of magazine, the woman on the cover was actually someone who would typically appear in my normal magazines of ElleVogue and Seventeen. The woan on the cover, Jessica Simpson, was breaking her norm of only appearing in gossip, fashion and tabloid magazines, so why couldn't I break my norm and pick up New York Magazine once in a while? Well, thanks to this assignment..perhaps I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment