Saturday, February 19, 2011

Elle Magazine, Katy Perry Cover

When I strolled over to the magazine rack in the Lehigh Barnes and Nobles, the first cover that immediately caught my eye was Elle's. I have never read Elle before, but the cover was shocking. It is an image of Katy Perry in a bright green jacket, bright blue shirt (with her matching blue bra showing), gold belt, and bright purple pants. Her lipstick is also a bright pink shade.

I thought this portrayal of Katy Perry was really interesting, mostly because she usually does not pose with so many layers of clothes on. Elle is also a fashion magazine, and her outfit seems to completely and totally clash. However, Perry is definitely making a statement by wearing this outfit. She is a huge star right now, and her album is one of the top albums in the country. Elle is sure to get a lot of attention because of this cover.

When I picked up the magazine, I could not believe how huge it is. It has about three times as many pages as the other magazines and it is more expensive. As I started flipping through the pages, I realized a ton of them are advertisements or just pictures of women posing in fashionable outfits. Many pages seemed like a waste to me. However, the cover was enough to get me to search for articles within the magazine. For example, the cover says "The real reason you hate your looks (and how to get over it)." A lot of college girls, including me, would be really interested to read into that. I read the article and it was interesting and relevant.

I am not sure that I would buy Elle in the future, just because it is expensive and a lot of the fashion items do not interest me, but I do think the cover was attractive and the setup was easy to navigate.

1 comment:

  1. Alyssa, That's great that you got pulled into the magazine by the cover live "The real reason you hate your looks (and how to get over it)." Shows you the power of a headline that is to the point, but also the strength of a magazine when it can deliver on a promise. Keep that in mind when you construct headlines, decks and then your stories. Let your headline and deck give you focus, then deliver the promise in your article. Good points on the cover, too.

    ReplyDelete