Sunday, February 6, 2011

Fast Company

I picked up the Fast Company magazine because I had never even heard of it before, and decided I should give it a read. The first thing I noticed, however, is that I do not like the feel of the magazine. Literally. It has a rough back and front cover, unlike the smooth shiny paper material of most magazine covers. 

This issue is based around the discoveries made in China, one of the most innovate countries in the world. I think this is an interesting idea. However, there are a lot of tiny articles in the magazine that I don't find interesting at all. 

One saving grace is a half-page picture of a woman in Haiti, in the middle of a disastrous area of rubble in a community devastated by the earthquake, standing with towels balanced on her head. But she has all of her attention focused on the cell phone in her hand. This article is about the technologies that help better deliver services to Haitians. It is extremely interesting, and this picture is very colorful and human.

The other articles I don't find as interesting. There is an article about ordering flowers from a new and upcoming company, but the flower arrangements are extremely expensive so I don't find it that relevant. There are many articles about "fake" Facebook pages that started in China and may surpass Facebook in numbers, but I do not find it that interesting because it probably will not affect me at all. 

There are at least six pages in the magazine that are just completely text, with no pictures or any deviation. It looks extremely boring and monotonous to read. I do not love this magazine, although it did have a few interesting articles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment