Saturday, February 5, 2011

Tough Read

I'm the type of guy that likes it when a magazine is easy to read and digest. This is why I'm such a big fan of Rolling Stone. They start with short stories about what's trending in music, you then go on to the feature well and end with reviews.

When I picked up the December issue of Mens Health in class, I did so rapidly, not because I thought it was the best one since it was on top of all the other magazines, but because I've always been curious to see how it is structured and what kind of stories it runs. I can't say I'm a huge fan of magazines that are almost entirely made up of how-to pieces.

The huge amount of ads make the layout of the magazine confusing. The headlines should also be bigger so that people can get an idea of what each story is going to be about. The fact that Mark Wahlberg was on the cover, and that the story didn't run more than 4 pages made me wonder that had I'd paid for the magazine on a newsstand, I wouldn't have gotten my money's worth. The good stories weren't advertised in the cover, so it wasn't until i flipped through every page of the thick magazine that I was able to discover some interesting reported features.

What I probably liked the most about this issue (I don't know if this is something Men'sHealth publishes on every issue) was the double cover. The back cover featured a tech guide for 2011. And while tips on how to improve my health didn't appeal to me as much, the guide was actually really interesting and helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment