Saturday, February 5, 2011

People: A Guilty Pleasure

Eyeing the pile of magazines on the table, I was immediately drawn to People. While I do enjoy a leisurely read of The New York Times or The Wall Street Journal from time to time, I don't always have 1-2 hours to spend on such lengthy papers. That is why I prefer People, and other similar pop-culture oriented magazines, on any given day. Whether I am about to embark on a 5-hour plane ride or sit down for a manicure, the world of celebrities, fashion, and glamour is what I choose to entertain myself with. I guess it's really no surprise though, considering I am interested in pursuing a career in public relations and entertainment media.

While I was reading this one particular issue of People it occurred to me just how superficial the magazine really is. Granted, People doesn't pride itself on being the most newsworthy publication out there. Even so, its lack of substance was quite apparent. The two biggest stories featured in the issue was a 6-page spread of Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding-in-the-works and an 8-page spread on the "Sexiest Man Alive" Ryan Reynolds.

As for the rest of the magazine, advertisements consisted of perfume, men's cologne, hair and beauty products, jewelry, cell-phones, iPods, and cars. The [few] remaining articles discussed the best dressed celebrities from the latest award shows, as well as reviews of recent TV shows, movies, and CDs.

I personally think there is nothing wrong with a magazine lacking a lot of substance. Its niche is to entertain and to appeal to audiences fascinated by Hollywood. For me, I get my hard-core news and current events updates from sources such as the Web, The Times or USA Today. But that is not to say I can't enjoy a guilty pleasure such as People, US Weekly, or In Touch, on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment